Communication Matters Membership Meeting Recap – 10.25.15
Below you will find a Communication Matters Agenda and some brief comments about what was discussed. Please share this information with others. As always, I want to plead with the members of Eagle Heights to always speak to each other directly with regards to questions and concerns. The Elders and staff are always willing to listen so we can better care for and love each other in order to glorify God together by trusting Jesus and obeying all He commands.
- Brent began the time by praying for it and briefly describing the format. He encouraged the members of Eagle Heights to join us for prayer on Sundays at 8:15 a.m. as we pray for Core Groups and our faith family. Also, he encouraged people to communicate to their Core Groups what was discussed at the meeting.
- Pastor Tyson briefly shared that the Elders were glad to have Brandon Gibson as our youth minister and that he is doing a good job. But he also shared that the Elders, in an effort to avoid a prolonged time without a youth minister, unintentionally forgot to ask for a vote of affirmation from the church. This does not change Brandon’s status in any way, but in light of what happened, the Elders have been working with the Personnel Team to make sure we honor the expectations of the church that are expressed in the scriptures and our governing documents. Tyson apologized on behalf of the Elders and expressed the desire of the Elders to always be willing to admit mistakes and honor the authority of the scriptures and the accountability we have with the membership of our faith family. We also expressed our gratitude to the Personnel Team for their oversight and help in the matter.
- Brent informed the church that the Finance Team and Personnel Team have done a great job of working with the staff to produce a budget that will be presented to the church in the near future for a vote of affirmation. Brent thanked the Personnel Team and Finance Team for their faithful service and love.
- Craig Exendine, our University Minister, shared briefly about the University ministry and how he is encouraged by the integration of university students with the rest of our church.
- Brandon Gibson informed us about youth ministry strategies and happenings. He reported that the attendance has been around 40 to 50 students, which is an encouraging sign of increased participation.
- Brent updated the church on 5Group Participation. We have 12 women’s groups and at least 7 men’s groups with hopes to multiply more in the spring. Brent also gave a rationale why we have 5Groups in addition to Core Groups.
- Pastor Russ gave a Building Up Construction and Budget update. The project is due to be complete by February 23rd and we have at least $77,000 left raise to complete the project. Since April, at the end of our capital campaign, we have raised over $83,000. Three or four questions were asked. For instance, someone asked how much parking was being lost and added. Another question was: “How much seating capacity will be added with the expansion?” Please feel free to talk to Pastor Russ if you have questions with regard to Building Up.
- Brent then briefly explained how we plan to raise the last bit of money to complete the project. We are asking people to pray about giving a sacrificial gift that is above and beyond their regular and missions giving. We are asking that this gift be given on November 22nd, which is the same day of our Harvest of Thanks Dinner. We are hoping to raise most, if not all, of the remaining funds from this Building Up giving push. You will be hearing more about this in the days to come.
- Brent led a time of Q&A for which there were not questions. But Brent once again pleaded with everyone to always come and express concerns and questions. The Elders and the staff want to know how to love and serve the people of Eagle Heights.
- The Elders ended with a time of specific prayer requests. We prayed for Jenae and Les Tilley and their family as they continue to fight serious health issues. We prayed for the victims and those who witnessed the OSU Homecoming Parade tragedy. We prayed for Nelda Newman and her healing from cancer. We prayed that God would give us boldness to share the gospel wherever we are going – at work, at home, at school, etc. Please join us in praying for these people and concerns. Pray also for our missionaries and UPGs.
Again, let us know if you have questions or see a need.
May we glorify God together by trusting Jesus and obeying all He commands by: Trusting God’s Word. Loving God’s People. Living God’s Mission.