Do You Want To Be Pure? Check Yourself!
We all have vices. We all have sin tendencies that confound and cause us to despair – even deeply despair.
How can a person keep their way pure?
This is what the psalmist asked in Psalms 119:9 and we are not left hanging.
So what’s the secret? How can sin be restrained? How can a person keep their way pure?
First answer: God’s word. Verse 9 leads off with the only question of the section and then gives a summary answer in verse 9b: “By keeping it according to Your word.” But the psalmist then gives us more to work with.
Second answer: Active word-centered discipline. How do you maintain purity?
- V. 10 – You seek God with all your heart so you don’t wander from His commandments. Do you seek God will all your being?
- V. 11 – You treasure God’s word so you don’t sin. Do you treasure the word of God in your heart?
- V. 12 – You praise God with a teachable and humble heart. Do you praise God when tempted?
- V. 13 – You speak God’s word to others because it overflows from your heart. Are you regularly overflowing audibly with the word of God?
- V. 14 – You rejoice over the word of God more than the treasures of the world. Do you love to hear and obey God’s word more than you desire the stuff of this world? What’s more valuable to you?
- V. 15 – You meditate on God’s word and heed what it instructs. Do you meditate and respond rightly to what God has said?
- V. 16 – You delight in God’s word so that you can’t forget it. Do you love God’s word so much that you have memorized it?
How do you fight sin? How do you fight for purity?
You discipline yourself to seek, treasure, praise, speak, rejoice, meditate and delight. This is what you do to fight for purity.
Are you doing these things? If yes, praise God. If no, then be honest about the fact that you may not desire purity as much as you think you do.
If you and I want to beat sin we can’t passively read the Bible every once in a while. We can’t scratch at the surface of the depths of God’s special revelation. We must dig and dig deep. We must be consistently active. We must make extended time for God’s word. We must discipline ourselves to actively know and keep the word of God.
So if your sick of sin, don’t complain or give up. With all your heart discipline yourself to know and do the word of God.