Quotes I Like
Over the past 8 months or so I have been trying to discipline myself to write down quotes that I want to remember for the future benefit of myself and others. Believe it or not, I have actually come up with a few statements myself that I think are ink worthy. I realize of course that my own quotes have probably been said another way and by someone else, but ignorance can be bliss. Right?
I read a lot so I don’t know how I decide what I like and don’t like, but I thought I would publish what I have written down so that some of these pithy statements might encourage or challenge those who read them.
- People who are rowing the boat are hardly ever the ones rocking it.” Ed Stetzer
- Because God works we work. John Murray
- The excellency of the believer is not that he has a large apprehension of things, but that what he does apprehend, which perhaps may be very little, he sees it in light of the Spirit of God, in a saving, soul-transforming light; and this is that which gives us communion with God, and not prying thoughts or curious-raised notions.” John Owen
- The legacy of a leader will only be as great as the thing or person to which they point people to.
- God’s working in us (sanctification) is not suspended because we work, nor our working suspended because God works. God works in us and we also work. But the relation is that because God works we work.” John Murray
- Life is appropriately about us when it is all about Jesus.
- Being a Christian is just as much about making decisions as it is about a decision made.
- Less is more when less is excellent.
- Even the mere word, cross, must remain far not only from the lips of the citizens of Rome, but also from their thoughts, their eyes, their ears. Cicero Pro Rabirio
- The most wretched of all ways of dying. Josephus on crucifixion
- I renounce you, Satan, and all your works and ways. The confession of 2nd and 3rd Century Christians before baptism.
- If you keep walking through spider webs, the problem isn’t the web, it’s the spider.
- Those with the most compelling and best ideas will eventually win the day and the days to come. The importance of Theology
- Whatever God is, (i.e. merciful, just, loving, etc.) He is perfectly that.
- Interpreting the Bible is like examining a puzzle and its pieces. If you try to decide what a single piece is outside of the big picture, you might come to a very unbiblical and inaccurate conclusion.
- Ministry is a slow and often long grind.
- If atheism is the ultimate reality in the universe then you and I can be our own god and our lives are nothing but a temporary fantasy.
- “The universe doesn’t care.” Doug Wilson on suffering in a godless universe.
- How many Bible Studies do you have to go to before you do what Jesus plainly commands?